(Updated with premarket trading)
Hartenstein is publisher and CEO of the Los Angeles Times.
Parsons was founder of XM Satellite Radio and served as chairman of the company prior to its merger with Sirius in the summer of 2008. He also resigned as a director, putting Sirius in compliance with Nasdaq's independent director requirements."While it has been a privilege to serve Sirius XM as chairman and to have guided the company successfully through the merger of Sirius and XM, I believe now is the right time to step aside," Parsons said in a statement. Parsons said he is leaving the company at a time when it has begun to generate positive cash flow and has "substantially improved" its financial condition. Earlier this month, Sirius posted a third-quarter loss of $149 million, or 4 cents a share. Adjusting for non-recurring items, the loss was $11 million, which amounts to break-even on a per-share basis. Sirius still has a long way to go before it can be profitable. Shares of Sirius have fallen more than 80% over the past three years and the company is in the hole for more than $10 billion and living off debt. The stock closed Thursday at 66 cents. It was up a cent to 67 cents in recent premarket trading. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York . Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV