Dimon added that card issuers must do a "better job underwriting upfront and if you want to maintain your clients a better job ... marketing the things such as rewards and services and things like that to grow the business." P/>Chase Card CEO Smith echoed that message.
"We really are going through pain right now," he says. "It's the worst macro-environment the card industry at scale has ever seen. And we know we just got to work through it, so that's what we're doing ... [investing] heavily through this cycle so that as we come out the other side we'll feel we'll have positioned the business with some really good products for our customers."
--Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV