Still, JPMorgan admits that it won't begin to see the fruits of these efforts for at least two years.
The Chase Card unit posted a loss of $700 million in the three months ended Sept. 30 and $1.9 billion for the first three quarters of fiscal 2009. CEO Jamie Dimon warned earlier this year that the business would not make a profit in 2009 and losses for the first half of 2010 are likely to come in "north of $1 billion." Loan losses remain at record levels, and the unit's legacy credit card portfolio had a managed net charge-off rate of 9.41% in the September quarter.
Losses in the credit card portfolio of Washington Mutual, which JPMorgan bought in September 2008, have been far worse. The company says that charge-offs in the WaMu portfolio, primarily consisting of subprime accounts where the standards for receiving lines of credit were too lax, could rise to 24% by mid-2010. The company is currently working to wind down that portfolio, and Chase Card CEO Smith says they won't be extending further credit to the majority of those borrowers.
The industry is going to be a "slightly smaller business because people are going to cut back credit in subprime and places that can't manage the risk properly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV