Goldman's Divine Inspiration
Wall Street may be a fertile ground for stupidity, but there are still times when we here at the Five Dumbest Lab struggle to find stories worthy of our list. If only we had a batphone to God like Goldman Sachs (GS) CEO Lloyd Blankfein, it sure would make our lives much easier.
The CEO of the gold-standard investment bank discussed his divine partnership in an interview with London's Sunday Times newspaper, saying his flock of bankers and traders are doing "God's work."
"We help companies to grow by helping them to raise capital. Companies that grow create wealth. This, in turn, allows people to have jobs that create more growth and more wealth. We have a social purpose," sayeth Blankfein unto the Times.Oh, so that's why the Apostle Paulson -- praised be Hank -- saved his former firm from going under last year instead of those unbelievers at Lehman Brothers. It's because Goldman helps other companies be fruitful and multiply. And while we were looking for a burning bush to show us the way, Blankfein opened our eyes to the real sign that the world economy was recovering. He said that bountiful bank profits and bonuses, like Goldman's $3 billion third-quarter earnings and $20 billion bonus pool, are the real indicators of heavenly times ahead. "Others made no money and still paid large bonuses. Some are not around anymore. I wonder why?" asketh Blankfein. We don't know, Lloyd. Why don't you call your boss? Surely He knows. Dumb-o-meter score: 80 -- Brother Lloyd needs to take a vow of silence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV