Chavez Tightens Control Over Food Sector
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) ¿ President Hugo Chavez's government has nationalized two coffee processors and is planning to purchase a majority stake in a third as it moves to assert greater control over Venezuela's strictly regulated food sector.
Presidential decrees published in the Official Gazette on Wednesday ordered the takeover of Fama de America and Cafea. Government officials have said they also hope to purchase a majority stake in a third company, Cafe Madrid ¿ guaranteeing Chavez's government control over more than half of Venezuela's coffee industry.
Company executives have not been available to comment on the announcements, and it was not clear whether they would be compensated.In addition to nationalizations in the electricity, cement and oil sectors, Chavez's government has nationalized some 2.5 million hectares of land considered to be idle or whose titles were in doubt. In the past two years, the government has also purchased a major dairy company and expropriated a rice processing plant owned by U.S. food giant Cargill Inc. It is now asserting control over coffee companies it accuses of acting as monopolies and flouting price controls by smuggling coffee into Colombia ¿ allegations the companies deny.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV