Charges Turn Seahawk Drilling To 3Q Loss
HOUSTON (AP) ¿ Offshore drilling company Seahawk Drilling Inc. fell to a loss for the third quarter as revenue fell and it recorded significant charges related to its spinoff from Pride International Inc.
The Houston-based company, spun off into a separately traded company in August, reported a loss of $32.4 million, or $2.79 per share, compared with a profit of $43.6 million, or $3.77 per share, a year ago.
The results included asset impairment charges of $32.1 million, or $1.80 per share for the discontinued platform business, which was sold in May 2008.
Continuing operations, excluding severance charges and transition costs due to the spin-off, saw a loss of $6.7 million, or 58 per share.Revenue fell 59 percent to $67.6 million from $164 million a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial expected the company to lose $1.65 per share. They typically exclude one-time losses and gains. Shares fell 4 cents to $28.50 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV