During the quarter, the company earned $62.4 million, or 36 cents a share, compared with $59.3 million, or 35 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected the company to earn 35 cents a share.
Revenue rose 6% to $505.9 million from $478 million last year. Total same-store sales, however, slipped 2%, weighed down by its Free People concept.
By division, comparable sales grew 3% at Anthropologie, fell 5% at its namesake brand and plunged 13% at Free People. Direct-to-consumer sales spiked 21%, while wholesale tumbled 10%. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV