During the quarter, Kohl's earned $193 million, or 63 cents a share, compared with $160 million, or 52 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected the department store to earn 61 cents a share.
Kohl's also announced that it foresees fourth-quarter earnings in the range of $1.14 to $1.24 a share. Analysts are calling for EPS of $1.23 a share. But this outlook could be low-balled, Stifel Nicolaus Richard Jaffe said in a note, as Kohl's may hope to "under promise, and over deliver." For the year, the company upped its outlook between $2.98 and $3.08 a share, from $2.59 to $2.70 a share. On Monday, rival Macy's (M) said it narrowed its loss in the third quarter, but its revised full-year outlook disappointed investors. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV