(Updated with analyst commentary on Wal-Mart earnings, as well as Wal-Mart stock movements.)
During the quarter, the behemoth discounter posted a profit of $3.24 billion, or 84 cents per share, a 3.2% increase over the same period last year. Analysts expected the company to earn 81 cents a share.
Wal-Mart, TJX Face Retail Shakeup
Is Abercrombie Poised to Fail?
Kohl's Modest Outlook
POLL: Which Department Store Is Best?
Revenue inched up 1% to $99.4 billion from $98.3 billion, while comparable sales fell 0.4%."The sales environment continued to be difficult this quarter, but customer traffic is up throughout the company," CEO and President Michael T. Duke said in a statement. Still, Wal-Mart delivered its highest operating income growth in nearly a decade. And its international business outperformed U.S., with particular strength in Britain, Mexico and Brazil. Wal-Mart upped its full-year outlook to $3.57 to $3.60 a share, from a prior forecast of $3.50 to $3.60 a share. Analysts were expecting earnings of $3.58 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV