Drop In US Energy Use Drags Stock Market Lower
Crude oil fell $2.34 to settle at $76.94 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Gold fell after eight days of gains, settling at $1,106.60.
The drop in oil weighed on energy stocks. Anadarko Petroleum Corp. fell $2.43, or 3.7 percent, to $62.55, while Range Resources Corp. fell $2.22, or 4.3 percent, to $48.98.
Among tech stocks, 3Com rose $1.77, or 31.1 percent, to $7.46, while H-P fell 30 cents, or 0.6 percent, to $49.70.
Advanced Micro rose $1.16, or 21.8 percent, to $6.48, and Intel fell 16 cents, or 0.8 percent, to $19.68.Wal-Mart rose 27 cents, or 0.5 percent, to $53.24. Kohl's Corp. rose 5 cents, or 0.1 percent, to $54.64 after the department store chain's fiscal third-quarter profit rose 21 percent. Overseas, Britain's FTSE 100 rose 0.2 percent, Germany's DAX index fell 0.1 percent and France's CAC-40 lost 0.2 percent. Japan's benchmark Nikkei stock average fell 0.7 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV