Drop In US Energy Use Drags Stock Market Lower
The broader S&P 500 index fell 11.27, or 1 percent, to 1,087.24, after two days of gains. The Nasdaq fell 17.88, or 0.8 percent, to 2,149.02.
The Russell 2000 index of smaller companies fell 12.39, or 2.1 percent, to 580.32.
Four stocks fell for every one that rose on the New York Stock Exchange, where consolidated volume came to 4.2 billion shares compared with 4.3 billion Wednesday.
Tom Nyheim, portfolio manager at Christiana Bank & Trust Co. in Greenville, Del., said the drop in oil wasn't likely to continue because demand would outstrip supply as economies in Asia and elsewhere recover ahead of the U.S.Nyheim said the market's drop indicated a healthy caution among traders after an eight-month advance that has pushed the S&P 500 index up 60.7 percent. Nyheim predicts that investors satisfied with their gains for the year might avoid placing big bets in November and December to safeguard their returns. "I think we're going to consolidate, maybe flat-line toward the end of the year," he said. Treasurys rose, pushing yields lower. The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note fell to 3.45 percent from 3.48 percent late Tuesday. Bond markets were closed Wednesday for Veterans Day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV