Belo Settles Shareholder Lawsuit Over Circulation
DALLAS (AP) ¿ Belo Corp. said Wednesday that it has settled a 2004 shareholder lawsuit related to the inflated circulation of a newspaper it previously owned, without paying a "material" amount.
Belo Corp., a TV station owner, had owned The Dallas Morning News until last year, when it spun off its newspaper holdings to A.H. Belo Corp.
In August 2004, an internal investigation revealed that the paper had been overstating its circulation. The paper is distributed exclusively by independent contractors.
In addition, Belo said a change in the methods of calculating circulation would cause the figure to drop as well.The day following the disclosure, Belo's stock dropped by 7 percent. The lawsuit alleged that Belo purposely inflated the paper's circulation to overcharge advertisers and inflate its stock price. Last year, a federal judge said the lawsuit failed to prove that the decline in Belo's stock price came from the paper's inflated circulation instead of other factors that caused the paper to lose readership. The court denied the plaintiffs' request to classify the lawsuit as a class action. In August, an appeals court affirmed the lower court's denial of class certification. Shares of Belo, based in Dallas, were up a nickel to $4.79 on Wednesday. A.H. Belo fell 14 cents, or 2.9 percent, to $4.75.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV