NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Few retailers reach the top. Even fewer stay there when they do.
The reason is deceptively simple: Those retailers best positioned for success in bad times are often poised for failure in good times -- and vice versa.
Such is the trap that faces today's most successful retailers as they attempt to navigate the transition from the Great Recession to, potentially, the Great Recovery. And three stocks in particular -- Wal-Mart Stores (WMT), Aeropostale (ARO) and TJX (TJX) -- are facing the prospects of a sudden, and possibly swift, reversal of fortune.
Wal-Mart Sales Show Cracks
Is Abercrombie Poised to Fail?
Kohl's Modest Outlook
POLL: Which Department Store Is Best?
Wal-Mart, of course, has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of the recession. Its low prices that seem to keep getting lower, have been a lure for shoppers who are looking to trade down.As a result, the discount behemoth has beaten Wall Street's profit expectations in three of the last four quarters. And while Wal-Mart discontinued reporting monthly sales figures back in May, prior to the announcement it had posted 24 consecutive months of positive sales. And as Wal-Mart picked up these gains, rival Target (TGT) was getting pummeled. Stocking more discretionary merchandise like apparel and home furnishing, in the last 15 of 16 months, Target experienced negative same-store sales. But it appears the tides are changing. Target's October comparable sales slipped just 0.1%, and their declines have been easing since the end of the summer. Target management also announced that apparel sales -- its weakest segment amid the recession -- were slightly stronger during the month compared with the same time last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV