NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There are hundreds of small banks scattered across America that are buckling under the burden of rising loan defaults and investment losses. As a result, bank failures will accelerate into next year.
The number of undercapitalized banks has increased to 126 from 116 in the second quarter, based on preliminary third-quarter financial results for most U.S. banks and thrifts provided by SNL Financial.
At the same time, it's clear that the country's largest banks, including three that haven't begun to repay government money received the Troubled Asset Relief Program, namely Bank of America (BAC), Citigroup (C) and Wells Fargo (WFC), are going to safely navigate the credit crisis.
|Most Commented Today||Most Popular Today|
|Avoid Sirius XM||Troubling Droid Sales|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV