BOSTON (TheStreet) -- With all the hype about Motorola's (MOT) new Droid and Apple's (AAPL) iPhone, it's hard to discern which wireless provider is the better bet: AT&T (T) or Verizon Communications (VZ).
There's no reason to let snarky ads or product reviews influence your investment decisions when there are measures that can help identify the stronger company in the competitive world of mobile technology. Here's a primer for sizing up the stocks:
Forward price-to-earnings ratio: AT&T: 12.5, Verizon: 12.3
The companies' forward P/E ratios are almost the same. While this metric doesn't give either company an edge, it shows that both stocks are undervalued based on their projected earnings. The average P/E for their peers is over 36, so AT&T and Verizon look cheap by comparison.
|Most Popular Today|
|Bank of America's Lewis Stays Positive|
|Most Commented Today|
|AT&T Beats Verizon With Cash|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV