Emeritus Shares Fall After 3Q Loss Reported
SEATTLE (AP) ¿ Shares of assisted-living services provider Emeritus Corp. fell Tuesday after the company reported a $16 million loss even though occupancy at its centers increased in the third quarter.
Emeritus said late Monday that its loss for common shareholders was 41 cents per share, compared with a loss of $23.1 million, or 59 cents per share, a year earlier.
The company said the latest loss would have been about $8.4 million excluding a non-cash impairment charge of $1.9 million and a rise in costs for workers compensation and health insurance.
Revenue rose 16.7 percent to $222.7 million.The chain's occupancy rate inched higher to 87.2 percent from 86.6 percent a year earlier, and the company said it was even higher, 88.8 percent, on the last day of the quarter. The company said revenue per location open at least one year increased 3.4 percent. President and co-CEO Granger Cobb said gains in occupancy would give the company more power to raise prices as demand improves. He also said the strength of the company supported efforts to grow through acquisitions. Shares of Emeritus fell $2.43, or 12 percent, to $18.22 in midday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV