NTELOS Plans Job Cuts, Expects Charges Of $1.5M
WAYNESBORO, Va. (AP) ¿ NTELOS Holdings Corp., a wireless phone service provider, said Tuesday it plans to cut about 3 percent of its work force amid the economic downturn. It expects to book related charges of about $1.5 million this year.
The company plans to cut 37 support workers, offer early retirement packages to 11 other employees and eliminate "some number" of unfilled positions, said spokesman Michael Minnis.
The 37 job cuts will be made mainly at the company's Waynesboro, Va., headquarters and will have minimal impact on jobs that deal with customers, he said. NTELOS employs about 1,200 people.
The moves are expected to result in charges of $1.5 million in 2009 and lead to savings and future expense reductions of about $4 million in 2010."We regret the impact this will have on our employees," CEO James S. Quarforth said in a statement. "Economic conditions over the past year have impacted our wireless business and as the wireless industry matures, it is proper for us to proactively take these measures to support continued growth." Shares of NTELOS slipped 2 cents to $14.98 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV