The decision by JPMorgan to lift the salary freeze is part of its year-end performance and compensation review process, according to a memo from human resources director John Donnelly.
JPMorgan shares were slipping by 1.1% to $43.86. Other bank stocks were trading mixed Tuesday, with Bank of America (BAC) rising 0.8% to $15.89, Citigroup (C) was flat at $4.19, Goldman Sachs (GS) slipped 0.3% to $176.05 and Wells Fargo (WFC) lost 1% to $28.11.
Among analyst moves, Legg Mason (LM) slipped 0.3% to $31.50 even after Credit Suisse upped its stock price target for the asset management company to $35 from $33. The firm lowered its fourth-quarter earnings estimate to 37 cents a share from 38 cents, while it increased its full-year 2011 earnings estimate to $1.57 a share from $1.53.
Elsewhere, Deutsche Bank upgraded Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) to buy from hold, while Keefe, Bruyette & Woods downgraded Allied Irish Banks (AIB) to underperform from market perform. Royal Bank of Scotland shares were falling 2.5% on the New York Stock Exchange to $13.18, and Allied Irish Banks shares were dropping 9.2% to $5.73.-- Written by Robert Holmes in New York. Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV