Pike Electric Tumbles On Rough Quarterly Report
MT. AIRY, N.C. (AP) ¿ Shares of Pike Electric Corp. fell Tuesday after the power services contractor posted fiscal first-quarter results below Wall Street expectations and withdrew its guidance due to market uncertainty.
Pike said Monday after trading concluded that for the three months ended in September it lost $2.7 million, or 8 cents per share, compared with a profit of $18.3 million, or 54 cents per share, in the year-earlier period.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected profit of 9 cents per share.
Revenue dropped to $127.2 million from $185.5 million. Analysts predicted revenue of $128.3 million."The general economic weakness and a longer-than-anticipated deferral of maintenance spending by our customers is the longest and most significant we have experienced," said CEO J. Eric Pike in a statement. "These facts, coupled with the lack of storm restoration work, negatively impacted our earnings for the quarter." FRB analyst Alex Rygiel on Tuesday downgraded the shares to "Market Perform" from "Outperform" and cut his share price target to $11 from $15. In premarket trading the stock tumbled $1.86, or 15.1 percent, to $10.50. The stock has ranged from $7.28 to $12.99 over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV