There are also reasons to pause before buying. Cisco shares offer a stable investment, but gains might lag those of competitors.
As the economy improves, demand for tech equipment and software will increase in North America and Europe. However, the most explosive growth will come from emerging markets such as India and China.
Cisco generates about 80% of its revenue from North America, Europe and Japan. Emerging economies account for only 9.6% of the company's revenue. This suggests that Cisco is at an immediate disadvantage based on its regional focus.
Compared with rival 3Com (COMS), Cisco's regional breakdown looks painfully conservative. 3Com generates about 50% of its sales in China, while North America accounts for 18%. 3Com is more aligned with the world's hot growth areas, putting it a better position to benefit when the economy rebounds.Determining a company's regional focus is an important step in forecasting performance. Cisco stock is trading at bargain prices, but the company might lack the right mix for the shares to soar during the recovery. -- Reported by David MacDougall in Boston. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV