Capitol Federal Financial is a thrift with headquarters in Topeka, Kan. It had $8.4 billion in assets as of June 30. The company's 50-cent quarterly dividend represents a yield of 6.74%.
Capitol Federal Financial said yesterday that fiscal 2009 net income, ending on Sept. 30, rose 29% to $66.3 million, or $3.15 a share. While it's not a stellar earnings performer, with a return on assets of 0.81% for fiscal 2009, Capitol Federal's dividend appears safe. The company has maintained excellent credit quality through the financial crisis and had a strong tangible common equity ratio of 10% as of Sept. 30. Regulatory capital ratios for main subsidiary Capitol Federal Savings weren't yet available for the third quarter, but the thrift's total risk-based capital ratio was a high 23.07% as of June 30.
The net interest margin for fiscal 2009 was 2.20%, increasing from 1.75% in the previous fiscal year, with the improvement attributed to lower funding costs. Still, the industry average for the second quarter was 3.43%.
Capitol Federal is paying a special annual dividend of 29 cents a share. Factoring in the special payout, the company's earnings more than cover its dividends, with an adjusted ratio of dividends paid out to net income of 72%. A year earlier, the company paid a special dividend of 11 cents a share.The company is mainly a single-family mortgage lender, but has followed a strategy for several years of supplementing its deposit funding through Federal Home Loan Bank advances, and maintaining a quarter of its assets in mortgage-backed securities.
|Most Commented Today||Most Popular Today|
|Avoid Sirius XM||Motorola's "Troubling" Droid Sales|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV