NBTY Fiscal 4Q Profit Rises
RONKONKOMA, N.Y. (AP) ¿ Nutritional supplement maker NBTY Inc. said Monday its profit for the fiscal fourth quarter soared on increased sales and cost controls. The results also were boosted by a one-time benefit from a previously terminated information technology program.
The Ronkonkoma, N.Y.-based company said net income rose to $63.3 million, or $1 per share in the fourth quarter from $17.6 million, or 28 cents per share in the same period a year ago.
The results included $7 million, or 7 cents per share, for the terminated IT program. Excluding that, profit would have been 93 cents.
Sales rose to $674 million from $601 million.For the fiscal year, the company reported net income fell to $145.7 million, or $2.30 per share, compared with $153.2 million, or $2.33 per share in 2008. Sales increased to $2.58 billion from $2.18 billion a year ago. Shares rose 85 cents, or 2 percent, to close at $40.38. In aftermarket trading, they fell 39 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV