Each of Clean Edge's three benchmark indexes rose last week, with a majority of component stocks in positive territory for the five-day period.
The NASDAQ Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS)was up 2.52 percent, the NASDAQ OMX Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (QWND) grew 1.89 percent, and the NASDAQ OMX Clean Edge Smart Grid Infrastructure Index (QGRD) (QGRD) rose 2.63 percent.
The overall market saw similar movement with the S&P 500 gaining 3.20 percent, NASDAQ 3.29 percent higher, and AMEX Oil up 2.86 percent for the week.
CELS -- up 2.52 percent for the week -- tracks U.S.-listed clean-energy companies and is divided into four categories: advanced materials; energy intelligence; energy storage and conversion; and renewable electricity generation and renewable fuels.In the advanced materials sector, three of the five component companies were in positive territory. Energy intelligence, the most populated sector of the index, saw 14 of its 20 components grow. Energy storage and conversion had five components in the red, four gaining, and one company unchanged. For renewable electricity and fuels, eight components were up, with the remaining seven losing ground. CELS' best performer for the week was solar PV module manufacturer Trina Solar (TSL), gaining 17.46 percent. Rounding out the top five CELS performers were solar-cell and module-maker Canadian Solar (CSIQ), up 15.09 percent; energy demand management firm EnerNOC (ENOC) -- which on Thursday reported its first ever profitable quarter -- rising 12.22 percent; rechargeable lithium-ion battery producer Ener1 (HEV), gaining 11.22 percent; and energy storage system maker Ultralife Batteries (ULBI), up 11.20 percent. CELS' worst performer last week was solar wafer manufacturer LDK Solar (LDK), declining 15.34 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV