- Data from Vertex's telaprevir was the most important and discussed during the meeting. The high cure rates seen in the so-called C208 study of treatment-experienced patients were probably as high as the field will ever see with a protease inhibitor. Zeuzem also called the data on twice-daily dosing of telaprevir "convincing," but he's still cautious and would like to see additional, confirmatory data from a larger study.
- The Hep C field is moving quickly to test treatment with two direct anti-virals against the Hep C virus, and hopefully eliminate the need for long-acting interferon and ribavirin -- the current standard of care for the disease. Zeuzem was impressed with the two-week antiviral activity shown in the so-called INFORM-1 study in both treatment-naïve and treatment-experienced patients. This study treats patients with a combination of InterMune's(ITMN) RG7227 and Pharmasset's(VRUS) RG7128. (The study is being co-sponsored by Roche, which co-owns development rights to both drugs.) He also noted that other companies, including Vertex and Bristol-Myers Squibb(BMY), plan to begin their own two-drug direct anti-viral combination studies next year.
- Side effects of earlier-stage Hep C drug continue to raise some concerns, including elevated levels of jaundice and bilirubin in patients treated with Boehringer Ingelheim's BI-'335. Zeuzem said more analysis was needed before the side-effect profile of the drug was clear. Zeuzem said the jury was also still out on Schering-Plough's(SGP) second-generation protease inhibitor narlaprevir, which uses a common HIV drug known as ritonavir to boost blood levels.
- Zalbin, a twice-monthly interferon from Human Genome Sciences(HGSI) and Novartis(NVS), might appeal to some patients who care most about reducing the number of injections required. He was less enthusiastic about another long-acting interferon from Zymogenetics(ZGEN) and Bristol-Myers Squibb, mainly because the drug is so early in development that it may become irrelevant if treatment with interferons and ribavirin are shelved due to the success of direct anti-viral drugs.
Doc Offers Top Hep C Drug Picks: BioBuzz
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.