Droid Sales on Dull Side
By Monday, a Verizon representative said "a lot" of Droids were sold over the weekend, but declined to offer a specific number. "We don't plan on releasing sales figures for the individual products," the rep said.
One thing seems clear, had Verizon hit the 1 million mark, you'd know about it. One million is a key milepost, and one that rival AT&T's (T) Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 3GS reached on its opening weekend in 2008.It's all good, say some analysts who kept the bar low for Motorola's all-or-nothing gamble on the Android operating system. "We don't believe investors expected an iPhone like launch but rather a first step in a cadence of products that will help bring Motorola's handsets out of the death spiral experienced during the past three years," Citi analyst Jim Suva wrote in a research note Monday. Suva reports that Droid sales were "solid" based on checks at stores on the East Coast and West Coast. Whether a solid or sluggish start, sales will get a big boost starting Monday as Verizon introduces at least three new TV ads as part of its biggest-ever marketing effort. The ads continue an anti-AT&T theme that pokes at the iPhone's performance on Ma Bell's 3G wireless network.
|Lower Manhattan 7:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 6. Photo taken by Droid phone.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV