Allianz Posts Big Rise in Operating Profit
Updated from 1:59 a.m. EST
MUNICH ( TheStreet) -- Allianz (AZ), Europe's biggest insurer, said third-quarter operating profit rose 23.4% from a year earlier to 1.9 billion euros ($2.84 billion) as its life and health insurance business continued a recovery.
Allianz said Monday that net income from continuing operations rose to 1.3 billion euros from 545 million euros in the third quarter of 2008. Total revenue rose 5.2% to 22 billion euros.
Operating profit at the insurer's life and health insurance business rose almost fourfold to 859 million euros from 218 million euros last year. Premiums at the division rose nearly 15% to 10.8 billion euros.Allianz said premiums at its property and casualty insurance business fell 5.4% to 10.2 billion euros, while operating income fell 18.2% to 1 billion euros. The financial services division saw operating revenue rise 23% to 1.1 billion euros, while operating profit also rose sharply to 332 million euros. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York . Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV