NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The best-performing exchange traded funds so far this quarter reflect strength in the energy markets, especially in crude oil.
The spot price of West Texas Intermediate Crude Oil climbed to just over $80 a barrel, a 14% bump since Sept. 30. The iPath Goldman Sachs Crude Oil Total Return Index ETN (OIL) matched this return, while the United States Oil Fund LP (USO) and PowerShares DB Oil Fund (DBO) lagged a bit, returning 13.3% and 13.2%, respectively.
The price of regular gasoline has also worked its way back up to $2.68 a gallon, according to AAA's national average. Gasoline futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange topped $2.01 a gallon at the close last Wednesday, up 17% this quarter. The top-performing ETF so far in the fourth quarter, United States Gasoline Fund LP (UGA), added 14.5%.
The only non-energy fund to crack the top ten this month is tied to the fortunes of the U.S. dollar and the economy. The iPath Dow Jones-UBS Platinum Subindex Total Return ETN (PGM) grew 11.8% on a 5.3% rise in the spot price of platinum and a 1.3% decline in the U.S. dollar index.To find the best rated exchange-traded funds, check out our Top Rated ETFs page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV