NEW YORK (TheStreet ) -- Gold futures briefly broke $1,100 as investors fled to the safe haven asset after the worst U.S. unemployment number in 26 years.
Gold delivery for December was rising $9.40 to $1,098.70 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract has traded as low as $1,086 and as high as $1,100.
Silver prices were rising 14 cents to $17.5 and copper was unchanged at $2.96.
The U.S. unemployment rate rose to 10.2% from 9.8% in September pressuring markets and lifting gold's appeal as an alternative investment. "Uncertainly, a crisis situation, anything along those lines usually adds to the buying side of the gold side. Certainly those that have wealth to preserve...will certainly do so" says David Morgan, founder of Silver-Investor.com.Speculative funds are primarily responsible for gold's bullish move, but it might not last. Once their buying dries up, the precious metal could see some downside. "It's like throwing a baseball into the air", says Morgan. "At some point it reaches the peak, the pinnacle and then it starts to retrace. Actually, I think we are pretty close to that....[also]sentiment is so strong for gold right now you can hardly find a bull anywhere and that's usually a sign that you are getting near a top." Mining stocks, which can carry a 3 to 1 leverage to gold's spot price, were also rising. Barrick Gold (ABX) was popping almost 3% to $41.61 while other big cap miner, Newmont Mining (NEM) was up 4% to $49.05.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV