Neb. Senator Takes Issue With Student Loan Stance
MARGERY A. BECK
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) ¿ U.S. Sen. Mike Johanns said Thursday that his concern for Nebraska families is what's driving his opposition to legislation that would turn control of student loans over to the government ¿ not lobbying from private student loan provider Nelnet Inc. of Lincoln.
The Nebraska Republican took umbrage with U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan's recent warning to colleges and universities to be ready to offer direct loans to students by next school year.
Johanns said Duncan's call is presumptuous since the bill has not yet been taken up by the Senate. The student loan reform bill did pass the U.S. House in September."There is dissension on both sides of the aisle relative to this proposal," said Johanns, a U.S. Agriculture Secretary under the Bush administration. "A secretary should never be getting this far out in front of the policy choice being made by the Senate and the House." Asked if his relationship with Nelnet, one of the nation's largest student loan companies, plays a part in his opposition, Johanns said he has "little contact with them."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV