Motorola Droid Met With Sleepy Reception
(Update includes analyst comment)
The Google (GOOG) Android-powered phone went on sale early Friday and if Manhattan stores were any gauge, the opening hours didn't exactly show a stampede of demand.
At the Verizon store in Lower Manhattan, there were no lines and about 30 people in the store at 7:30 a.m. A store employee said there were plenty of Droids available. Asked if that meant there were 100 available, the employee said, "about that many."
|BioCryst Competition for IV Flu Drug: BioBuzz|
|Biotech Stock Mailbag: Poniard Predictions
A Lot on the LineThe sleek, $200 touchscreen device is expected to be a strong contender against AT&T's (T) Apple (AAPL) iPhone during the all-important holiday season. Motorola needs its flagship phone to be a major success if it has any hope of a turnaround for its fallen phone business. In its biggest marketing effort ever, Verizon is positioning the Droid as its top offering of the season and a much needed alternative for customers who envy the iPhone. Motorola needs to sell a half million phones this weekend to match the iPhone's most recent splash.
|Lower Manhattan 7:30am Friday Nov.6 taken by Droid phone.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV