Par 3Q Profit Surges On Product Sales
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. (AP) ¿ Generic drugmaker Par Pharmaceutical Companies Inc. said Friday its profit surged in the third quarter on a boost in product sales.
Par said it earned $26.3 million, or 76 cents per share, in the period ended Oct. 3, compared with profit of $475,000, or 1 cent per share, a year ago. Revenue nearly doubled, to $294.8 million from $149 million.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected a profit of 49 cents on revenue of $290.5 million.
Par's revenue included $161.1 million in sales of generic Toprol XL, or metoprolol, which is used to treat angina, high-blood pressure and heart failure. The branded version is made by AstraZeneca PLC.Par did not provide sales comparisons to the year-ago period. Instead, it focused on comparisons with the second quarter of 2009, which actually shows a steep decline in sales, when comparing consecutive quarters. Par also makes an injectable generic version of the migraine drug sumatripan, or Imitrex. It also makes Dronabinol, a generic version of Marinol, which includes the active ingredient in marijuana and treats nausea from chemotherapy. Shares of Par Pharmaceutical rose 67 cents, to nearly 3 percent, or $23.45 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV