How Long Will Unemployment Top 10%?
We have, of late, been pummeled with signs that the economy has turned a corner. Regardless, it might not feel that way. Just ask the millions of unemployed.
This Friday, we got a clearer sense of that joblessness picture, as the Labor Department released its nonfarm payroll data, showing that unemployment had tipped out at 10.2% for the month of October. In late October alone, Sun Microsystems (JAVA), US Airways (LCC) and American Airlines (AMR) each announced big layoff plans.
See Our Photo Gallery : U.S. Layoffs Mounts
With that in mind, we turn to you: Now that the unemployment rate has topped 10%, how long do you think it will stay there? Take the poll below to see the consensus of TheStreet. And don't forget to leave a comment below to offer your take.
-- Written by Sung Moss in New YorkFollow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV