Fund Lessons From Bill Gross
Upon receiving his MBA in 1971, Gross joined the Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Co. where he worked as a bond analyst for the then obscure branch known as the Pacific Investment Management Co. -- Pimco.
In 1982, with Gross at the helm, Pimco separated from Pacific Life. The company has since expanded into the successful enterprise it is today. In 2000, Pimco was purchased by Allianz (AZ), the Munich-based financial services firm. As of Sept. 30, 2009, Pimco boasted nearly $950 billion in assets under management.
While Pimco's success has mainly come from its fixed-income family of mutual funds, the firm has recently begun taking steps into the expanding world of exchange traded funds. Today, ETF investors have the opportunity to tap Bill Gross' brain using instruments such as PIMCO 1-3 Year U.S. Treasury Index Fund (TUZ); PIMCO 3-7 Year U.S. Treasury Index Fund (FIVZ) and PIMCO 25+ Year Zero Coupon U.S. Treasury Index Fund (ZROZ). While these funds are still relatively new to the ETF arena, it is likely that, with the insight of Bill Gross backing them, they have a bright future.
Gross' success over the past 38 has gained the attention of a number of famous financiers. Both Warren Buffett and Alan Greenspan have sang his praises at one time or another.Aside from working with Pimco, Gross has also shown to be a successful author and financial commentator. Through numerous books and other publications he has shared his knowledge on bonds and expressed his insight and opinion concerning the present and future of the global economy. Like Buffett, when Gross speaks, the rest of Wall Street listens. In fact, in a recent Bloomberg poll, Gross beat out the likes of fellow financiers such as George Soros and ranked No. 2 as the individual with the most financial wisdom behind Warren Buffett.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV