NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In January, when the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. announced it had sold IndyMac Bancorp to a group of buyout firms, it looked like it could be the start of something big.
"The government has all the downside and we have all the upside," said J. Christopher Flowers, one of the investors in the deal, at an industry conference a few days later.
|Most Commented Story Today
|BioCryst Competition for IV Flu Drug: BioBuzz|
|Most Popular Story Today
|Biotech Stock Mailbag: Poniard Predictions
In May, some of the biggest names in private equity, including The Blackstone Group (BX), The Carlyle Group and W.L. Ross & Co., got into the act, teaming up on a similar bid for BankUnited in Florida, which is to be run by former North Fork boss John Kanas .
Now, however, things appear considerably more difficult for the buyout firms. A private equity-led deal to buy another failed Florida bank, First Southern Bancorp, now appears dead in the face of regulatory resistance, according to a report in TheDeal.com. The buyout shops involved in the planned deal, including Fortress Investment Group (FIG), Crestview Partners and Lightyear Capital, all either declined comment or did not return calls.Blackstone, whose president and COO Hamilton Tony James, had told reporters in May that "we like that play a lot," referring to buying failed banks from the FDIC, now appears to be rethinking things. "Still looking at this issue internally. Not really ready to talk right now," wrote spokesman Peter Rose via email, in response to an interview request. One big reason for the diminished interest is new rules from the FDIC, announced in August. The rules subject private buyers of banks to strict capital requirements and lengthy holding periods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV