Poker Champ Berman Stakes Claim In Ohio Casinos
Allegations that Berman was involved in this year's casino effort were made early in October after a business proposal written in January surfaced that named My Ohio Entertainment, with Berman as a participant, as a partner to one of the casino campaign's consultants.
Tony George, a Cleveland developer, told The Associated Press at the time that Berman had approached him after the 2008 proposal failed in search of partners for a repeat effort.
"My understanding through his representatives was that he felt that this is the time to pass gambling in Ohio," said George, chairman of the George Group. "But he realized it wasn't just going to be one casino, that you've got to include the major population areas like Cleveland-Akron, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati. He was looking for allies."
George didn't know at the time whether Berman had succeeded in finding a business link to the 2009 effort, and the pro-casino Ohio Jobs & Growth Committee denied any relationship. They said the document appearing to name Berman as a player was merely a proposal that had not been accepted.Bob Tenenbaum, a committee spokesman, said Thursday that the deal with Berman was struck after that time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV