That's not to say smaller banks haven't been affected by the broader economic climate. "Regulators are cracking down, and credit scores have gone down across the board," Merski notes. The slumping real estate market has also affected small-business owners, who often use their homes or workplaces as collateral. "With real estate down by roughly a third, those borrowers have less to offer as collateral," he says.
Lending criteria have gotten stricter, and entrepreneurs may find themselves jumping through more hurdles to get approved. Now more than ever, it's crucial to show your ability to grow sales and pay back the loan. Lending to small businesses remains a risky proposition, and lenders -- no matter what their size -- need to be wowed before they'll say "yes."
And that's not a bad thing. When times were flush and loans were handed out with little more than a signature, bad debt ended up crushing us all. Higher lending standards result in better loans and stronger businesses. If you have a compelling vision, you can still get funding, as long as you're prepared for a hard sell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV