BioCryst Ships Flu Drug to U.S. Government: BioBuzz
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (TheStreet) -- BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX) said Thursday that it shipped 10,000 courses of its intravenous H1N1 flu drug peramivir , valued at $22.5 million, to the U.S. government.
The number of peramivir courses ordered initially by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is lower than the maximum 40,000 courses conceived under the agency's original request submitted to the company in late September.
But the $2,250-per-course price that the U.S. government is paying to stockpile peramivir is on the high end, if not higher, than expectations.
The peramivir shipped Wednesday enters the government stockpile and will be distributed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to doctors on a per-patient basis when need to treat seriously ill, hospitalized patients stricken with the H1N1 flu virus.Peramivir is not an approved drug, so CDC is tightly controlling its distribution. BioCryst is manufacturing another 120,000 courses of peramivir in case the government requires additional stockpiles. Under its existing contract, the government could purchase another 30,000 courses of the drug. BioCryst shares closed Wednesday at $10.10. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV