Schweitzer-Mauduit Ups 2009 View After 3Q Report
ALPHARETTA, Ga. (AP) ¿ Specialty paper maker Schweitzer-Mauduit International Inc. said its third-quarter profit plunged by one-third, but its adjusted results widely exceeded Wall Street expectations and it raised its 2009 outlook.
Shares of the Alpharetta, Ga., company rose sharply Wednesday to reach a 52-week high.
Net income of $4.5 million, or 27 cents per share, was down from $6.7 million, or 43 cents per share, a year ago. During the quarter, the company closed a production site in France and downsized in other areas due to declines in demand for its traditional tobacco-related papers in North America and western Europe. Excluding related restructuring charges of $26.7 million, adjusted income totaled $1.39 per share in the latest period.
Revenue of $184.5 million for the quarter ended Sept. 30 was down 7 percent from $199.2 million in the year-ago period, as volumes declined and foreign exchange rates fluctuated. Improved product mix and higher selling prices partially offset those declines.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected earnings of 93 cents per share on revenue of $185.9 million. Analysts typically exclude one-time charges.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV