NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Sumichrastreport.com basket of stocks, or as it has come be known, the S&P 500 Stock-Slayer Portfolio, fell last month. After being up 45%, it was up just over 32%, since its inception on Feb. 10, 2009 (see chart at end). Despite this 30% dropoff, the portfolio still beat the S&P, which returned 25% over the same period.
I have contended that people need to bury 'buy and hold,' and take the reins of their investments; i.e., take "stock" of your stocks on a continuous basis and forget the old-fashioned "buy and hold" strategy.
Did my strategy really pay off? It appears that it did. If you held on to all the 14 stocks I recommended since February, you would be up 29.92%, vs. recalibrating the portfolio and returning 32.19%.
Overall, I am very nervous about equities and, therefore, I have not added any new names to my list at this time. For the remaining six stocks in my portfolio, here's what I would do:Pulte Homes (PHM): At the end of September, I set a sell limit of $13.00. I missed the boat. It's now $9.01. I really don't like to double down, but I still think housing's recovery (albeit slow) will lift this "boat" back in the money. Hold. General Electric (GE): At least we are still ahead of our entry point of $11.62, but if these markets start to turn down, I could issue an "abandon ship" order. Hold. Huaneng Power (HNP): Down 12% since I first recommended it, HNP had a mid-month run in October, just to retreat as most China stocks suffered in the last 10 trading days. Hold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV