Pacer In Deal With UP Railroad; Makes 3Q Profit
CONCORD, Calif. (AP) ¿ Shares of Pacer International Inc. jumped nearly 20 percent in Tuesday aftermarket trading after the logistics services provider said it has resolved a dispute with Union Pacific and turned a surprise profit in the third quarter.
The deal with Union Pacific extends and expands terms for big-box shipments under an agreement that would have expired in 2011. It also resolves claims between the two companies over domestic container transportation. Pacer said Union Pacific paid it $30 million under the new agreement, which Pacer will use to pay down a credit line by about 50 percent.
Pacer also reported that its third-quarter profit dropped to $600,000, or 2 cents per share, for the quarter ended Sept. 30, from year-ago earnings of $20.8 million, or 59 cents per share. Revenue fell 25 percent to $418.7 million from $557.8 million as the economic slump curbed freight demand.
But the results topped estimates of analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, who had expected Pacer to lose a penny per share on revenue of $402.6 million.Pacer shares had risen 15 cents, or 5.9 percent, to close at $2.71 before the announcement. They jumped another 54 cents, or 19.9 percent, to $3.25 in late trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV