(Updates Cisco stock information)
The networking gearmaker will report fiscal first-quarter earnings after the bell Wednesday, and investors will be listening keenly for assurance that the economy is stabilizing and tech spending is improving.
But don't set your hopes too high. The outlook for tech and the broader economy continues to be blurry, and though CEO John Chambers enjoys playing an economist on earnings calls with analysts, he may opt, like his tech peers, to hold off on any long-range predictions."While CEO Chambers should sound more optimistic on the recovery, given improving order trends, most of Cisco's large-cap tech peers avoided providing any meaningful commentary on 2010," Bill Choi of Jefferies wrote in a research note Tuesday. "Similarly, we do not expect 2010 outlook from Cisco," Choi writes. Cisco is expected to deliver a solid fiscal first-quarter performance. Analysts are expecting an adjusted profit of 31 cents a share, which is down from 42 cents in the year-ago period. Sales are expected to be $8.74 billion, down 15% from the $10.33 billion level last year. If Chambers sounds optimistic on the earnings call, it could be in part because the company will have made it through the fiscal first quarter, one of Cisco's seasonally weakest. Cisco also has a handful of new products that position it well going into the year end and next year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV