Railcar Makers Benefit From BNSF News
The Associated Press
The news that Warren Buffett's company is buying the nation's second-largest railroad boosted shares of the companies that make railcars, too.
Buffett is leaving the same managers in place at Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp., so it's not clear that the railroad will change direction ¿ or need more rail cars ¿ under his ownership. Still, the shares of railcar makers rose Tuesday.
The biggest gainer was Greenbrier Co., up 60 cents, or 6.7 percent, to close at $9.54. Other gainers included Trinity Industries, up $1.05, or 6.2 percent, to close at $18.02, American Railcar Industries Inc., up 39 cents, or 4 percent, to close at $10.15, and GATX Corp., which leases operates and manages rail assets, up 95 cents, or 3.5 percent, to $27.98.Rail supplier LB Foster Co. also rose, up 84 cents, or 3 percent, to close at $28.73.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV