Landry's Restaurants OKs $1.2B Acquisition Offer
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ The chairman and CEO of Landry's Restaurants Inc. finally got what he was after Tuesday, as the restaurant owner's board approved his $1.2 billion all-cash offer to buy the company.
Tilman J. Fertitta, also Landry's president, controls more than half of its shares, but coming up with the right formula to get the rest took a while.
Fertitta will pay $14.75 per share in cash for it ¿ a 37 percent premium over Monday's closing price of $10.76. He owned about 55.1 percent of Landry's outstanding shares as of Monday.The news sent shares of Landry's, which owns the Rainforest Cafe chain and other restaurants, surging $2.93, or 27.2 percent, to close at $13.69. The stock hit a fresh 52-week high of $13.99 earlier Tuesday. In an August bid, Fertitta would have given other Landry stockholders shares of Landry's Saltgrass Inc. The company rejected that proposal as inadequate. Fertitta had shelved a similar privatization bid he made in 2008, offering $13.50 per share. Landry's, the nation's second-largest operator of seafood restaurants behind Red Lobster owner Darden Restaurants Inc., also owns Charley's Crab, Landry's Seafood House and The Chart House. Its non-seafood restaurants include Vic & Anthony's and the Pizza Oven.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV