Currently, Steven Madden is looking at companies to buy that are smaller than $30 to $40 million, CEO Edward Rosenfeld said on a conference call -- although he noted that it is possible for management to acquire something for as much as $100 million. The company is also interested in picking up a fashion athletic brand, he said.
Rosenfeld said he already sent a letter of intent to one possible company, and expects the deal to be complete by the end of the year.
But shares of Steven Madden are still tumbling 5.4% to $38.53 in afternoon trading, as the stock has already run up 87% in over the past 12 months.During the third quarter the company earned $17.8 million, or 97 cents a share, compared with $11.1 million, or 62 cents, in the year-ago period. Steven Madden sales grew 9% to $140.1 million from $128.1 million last year, while same-store sales Looking ahead, the company expects to earn between $2.55 and $2.65 a share. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV