Cross Country 3Q Profit Tumbles 84 Percent
BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) ¿ Health care staffing services company Cross Country Healthcare Inc. said Monday its profit shrank 84 percent in the third quarter, as the recession cut into demand for skilled nurses, and older doctors appeared to postpone retiring, leaving fewer positions to be filled.
Cross Country said nurse and allied staffing revenue was cut in half as its customers chose to use more "per diem" nurses and fewer skilled professionals. Physician staffing revenue also declined, which the company said might be due to older doctors putting off retirements due to the stock market plunge and weaker housing market, as well as a dip in elective surgeries. Clinical trial revenue also decreased.
The company said its profit dropped to $968,000, or 3 cents per share, from $6.2 million, or 20 cents per share. Total revenue slid 27 percent, to $129.6 million from $178.1 million. According to Thomson Reuters, analysts were projecting a profit of 2 cents per share and $132.4 million in revenue.
Nurse and allied staffing revenue was down 50 percent to $64.1 million, with staffing volume down 48 percent. Physician staffing revenue slipped 3 percent to $39.6 million, and staffing days filled fell 13 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV