Chinatrust Financial, one of the losing bidders for Nan Shan Life, said it is investigating the results of the sale, Reuters reported.
AIG sold the unit to Primus Financial, which agreed to pay $2.15 billion, but Chinatrust actually bid $2.4 billion for Nan Shan, Reuters reported citing sources close to the deal.
>> Photo Gallery: Inside AIG's Biggest Surprises
Chinatrust Chief Investment Officer Daniel Wu said at an investor conference in Taipei on Monday that he is not ruling out taking legal action. Not only was Chinatrust's bid higher, he said, but its proposal to take care of Nan Shan employees was, according to Chinatrust, also better.The sale of Nan Shan was AIG's most lucrative deal since it began selling off assets last year in an effort to repay its $85 billion loan from the government. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV