Holiday Travelers Pay More Fees to Fly
That money won't get you anywhere. It's just the sum of the fees you'll pay for calling in your reservation ($25), checking a bag at the airport ($20), stuffing said bag ($125 for bags 51-100 pounds), selecting a seat that's not in the back of the plane or between window and aisle seats ($14-$119) and traveling before or after Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day ($10). United is just one of the cash-strapped carriers giving U.S. domestic travelers capacity cuts and fee hikes as gifts this holiday season.
Check out an interactive graphic of airline fees.
American Airlines (AMR), Continental Airlines (CAL), Delta Air Lines (DAL), United and U.S. Airways Group (LCC) reported multimillion dollar losses for the last quarter, leading to them to tack on a $10 surcharge to travel during the holidays as well as spring break, Easter and Memorial Day. Holiday fares are about 10% less than they were last year, but the folks at FareCompare.com say that seating capacity on flights to the 50 busiest cities the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is down 3.4%. Meanwhile, the ancillary costs for those who can get seats are hitting new altitudes.Anne Banas, executive editor of SmarterTravel.com, and her colleagues update their chart of domestic airlines fees daily. The chart has grown substantially larger as more services come with a price tag. "We built this chart in the early summer of 2008, when the airlines were introducing the first wave of checked bag fees," she says. "It's been over a year and not only are there more bag fees, but there's been an overall increase in fees across the board."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV