(Updated with stock prices.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The major stock averages recovered after another volatile day Monday as the market goes through what one observer calls a transition period.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 76.71 points, or 0.8%, to 9789.44, while the S&P 500 added 6.69 points, or 0.7%, to 1,042.88. The Nasdaq edged up 4.09 points, or 0.2%, to 2049.20.
Stocks advanced early after a trio of positive surprises economic reports, but gave up those gains by midday only to recover with a buying spree in the final hour."We are going through a transition," says Jeffrey Kleintop, chief market strategist, LPL Financial. "In the summer we were going from pricing in the great depression to a recession, now we've been here for a month and a half as we go from pricing in a recession to a recovery," he says. "We're in this consolidation around 1050
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV