Lance 3Q Profit Rises On Higher Net Selling Prices
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) ¿ Snack foods maker Lance Inc. said Friday that its profit rose in the third quarter, helped by higher net selling prices and an acquisition.
But the company lowered its full-year earnings guidance and narrowed its sales forecast, citing current operating conditions.
Lance's products are sold under its namesake as well as Cape Cod, Tom's, Archway and Stella D'oro brand names along with a number of private label and third party brands.
Profit grew 29 percent to $8.8 million, or 27 cents per share, compared with $6.8 million, or 21 cents per share, a year earlier. For the period ended Sept. 26, sales climbed 4 percent to $234.9 million from $225.6 million.Lance said increased net selling prices contributed 2 percent to sales growth, with the rest from increased volume that was helped by its $30 million Archway Cookies LLC acquisition in December 2008. The results missed the forecast of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, who predicted a profit of 37 cents per share on revenue of $242.1 million. Analysts' estimates usually exclude one-time items.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV