Cytokinetics Shares Fall On Drug Development Delay
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Cytokinetics Inc. plunged Thursday after the biotechnology company said development of a potential heart failure drug could take a year longer than previously anticipated.
The stock slid 76 cents, or 17.8 percent, to $3.51 in afternoon trading. Shares have traded between $1.38 and $5.55 over the last 52 weeks.
Late Wednesday, the company said it agreed with partner Amgen Inc. on conducting additional mid-to-late-stage studies on omecamtiv mecarbil for heart failure and renal dysfunction patients in 2011.
Lazard Capital Markets analyst Joel Sendek reaffirmed a "Buy" rating on Cytokinetics, but said the delayed timeline could affect milestone payments to Cytokinetics.Cytokinetics also said its third-quarter loss narrowed on more revenue from collaborations. The company recorded a loss of $8.2 million, or 14 cents per share, compared with a loss of $16.3 million, or 33 cents per share, during the same period a year prior. Revenue rose 76 percent to $5.5 million from $3.1 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected a loss of 22 cents per share on revenue of $2.9 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV